Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Exploring Farrukhnagar with my friend Kathy

sorry for the delay in posts but somehow life got in the way 

today I'll take you to Farrukhnagar which is a "village" close to Sultanpur bird sanctuary,
about 25 km from Gurgaon
me and my friend Kathy set out to explore this little village on a hot day in march 
established in 1732 and once a flourishing city due to many salt mines
today "famous" for these sights


one of the entrances to this octagonal city and the Baoli Ghaus Ali Shah, a stepwell


the "vault" leading into the baoli


unfortunately they have restored it in such a way that it looks brand new
hmmm for plaster....


up up



it's a large octagonal stone baoli, stepwell


from here we got a good view of  Sethani ki Chhatri, a memorial cenotaph, chhatri means pillar pavilion


not maintained at all means that mother nature takes over
and becomes one with the structures


kind of cool how , the forces of a growing tree !



as always it was fun to explore with Kathy
I sure miss you !


another of the old entrances to the city
now a market inside the old wall
see the big spikes on the doors ?


to keep enemies outside...even if coming on an elephant !


today a tiny temple in the middle of the spiky door



two headed ? 
hahaha sometimes pictures turn out so funny !
the white bangles on her arms shows that she's married





an old haveli from the good times....the salt times....







we climbed in ruins and garbage to see Sheesh Mahal, the Glass Palace, 
the palace of the Nawab of Farrukhnagar,
built in 1711 
must have been beautiful once way back in time
by that I mean way back
I was actually kind of worried if we where going to fall through the roof at some point when trying to get in


they told us it was being restored ??
we only saw some macaques, monkeys hanging around and they sure weren't doing any repair work that I saw


I do love all these old buildings with lots of "patina"though
I must admit that I see beauty in this


Jama Masjid...some old part with inscriptions that dates back to between 1200-1287



interesting traffic with cars, bikes, walkers, auto rickshaws, camel, tractor and a mule ! 

that's India I tell you



2 comments: